What are your first thoughts when you hear the word “creativity?”
Does it conjure up images of paint palettes and easels? Poetry books? Songwriting? Knitting or Sewing? Arts and Crafts?
For many years, I defined creativity as talent that was made tangible through some work of art – leaving me identifying myself as uncreative. I reinforced this self-limiting belief for many years – “Oh, I’m not very creative” “I can’t draw a stick figure” blah, blah, blah…
Over the years, I have had the opportunity to reconsider my limited view of my own creativity.
Creativity is your Essence not Your Talent
Creativity is our essence. It is who we are – creative beings. We are so powerful that we are able to create our experiences in every moment. And in fact, we do.
So, the question becomes what are you creating?
Creativity can be seen in the way that we think. Creativity is expressed in our interactions with others. Creativity is the most essential ingredient in any problem solving process. Creativity is the energy we access to move from where we are to where we want to go.
Creative juices flow best in a relaxed state – a place of calm – a place of trust. Creativity is expansive and energetic. Creativity in its highest form is felt.
We often look at creativity as a function of thought. We talk about creative thinking – thinking outside of the box – taking alternative perspectives from an intellectual point of view. This is only one aspect of the creative process.
Feel the Energy of Your Creativity
When our creative powers are experienced on the feeling level, we engage in an interactive relationship with what is possible. Our minds tend to be rigid and programmed to some extent to stay within the realm of what we already know to be true. When we feel our creativity, we signal our minds to expand beyond preconceived notions and the boundaries of what is possible become more pliable bending to a deeper truth within our hearts.
I have been challenged to move out of my thinking mind into my feeling heart in order to tap into deeper levels of creativity – in order to feel my creative process.
Here is what I am learning:
- Feeling creative energy is fun! It is light and fluid. It has a life of its own that will express itself easily when I move my mind out of the way.
- Feeling creative energy removes limits and barriers. It is the place where “a-ha” moments are born.
- Feeling creative energy allows me to be more fully in touch with who I am at the core of my being – outside of images and perceptions. There is a sense of freedom.
- Feeling creative energy often comes with the sensation that information is flowing without effort.
- Feeling creative energy within a group of people can lead to “out of this world” breakthroughs. It is exhilarating.
Some questions that can be helpful in stimulating creativity:
- What am I learning right now?
- How can this learning be applied to any situation that I find challenging?
- What resources do I have access to that I may be overlooking?
- If this problem could be solved easily, what would that feel like?
- What if…?
- If I could have any experience occur in my life right now, what would that be? (Hint – keep this focused on what you wish to experience inside as opposed to some external event – focus on feelings)
Let’s get started!
How do you define creativity?
What evidence do you have in your life that you are a creative being?